Paris Street, Rainy Day

7:00 AM

Gustave Caillebotte, Paris Street, Rainy Day, 1877
Gustave Caillebotte's interest in art began with photography, and from there he started to paint. This inclination of his towards photography influenced his painting, as depth of field and other qualities from photography were apparent in his works. In this painting, the two people in the foreground are slightly blurred while the people in the background seems to be in better focus. The buildings in the background become the vanishing point and become a mystery to the viewer. The figures in the painting are complacent, and the painting depicts a casual day in Paris in the time period.

The intersection near the railroad Gare Saint-Lazare is shown in the painting and the figures are walking on the rue de Turin. The colors, which are grays, are beautiful, and the people's casual strolls make it feel like a true moment. I'm thankful for this painting because it was one of the first paintings I ever noticed when I was younger. I thought it was beautiful. My dad had just introduced the board game Masterpiece to me and my sister, and it was then that this painting caught my eye. I would try to get it every time we played even if it was not to my advantage. The painting inspired me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments