La Boudeuse

7:00 AM

Antoine Watteau,  La Boudeuse, 1718

Looking at this painting I find myself wanting more from it, I want to be lured into it, captured by its beauty and emotion. But all I really get are a couple of misplaced figures in a well-painted meadow. Watteau paints theatrical scenes and sometimes he takes those figures and places them into a colorful backdrop. Clearly these amorous lovers are having a moment, but I feel like I can't connect with it. The woman stares back at you not with passion but rather melancholy and subtle boredom. Even Watteau's technique is nothing stunning - a flat painting at eye level, no real characterized depth and no embracing feeling as you look.

Despite the subject matter this painting is unique and done with great skill. The shadowing on their clothing is some of the most accurate and makes the colors pop. Movement and color were two of Watteau's best allies when it came to painting these scenes. During the Rococo painters figured out that not only did subject matter, but color also really added to the beauty. Mocked up by looking at Venetian furniture and art,Watteau received great praise from critics and common people alike for his luminous palette.

The thing that strikes me is the precision he is able to produce from such large brush strokes. It's as if he can envision not only the shapes, but also the color in such massive steps. I also enjoy how I get more emotion out of those harsh strokes than I do looking at this rosy-cheeked man court this woman. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments