Marriage of the Virgin

7:00 AM

Giotto, Marriage of the Virgin, 1305

Marriage of the Virgin was painted by Giotto in 1305, the painting now hangs in the Arena Chapel in Padua, Italy. I hope I am not the only one who has looked at this painted and immediately thought "wait Mary the Virgin got married? Since when?" that would be embarrassing. With some research I found out it is common knowledge that Mary was married to Joseph. I have already shown my lack of knowledge of The New Testament, but it appears Mary to pregnant. Her forearm and hand rest on her stomach, an act that many pregnant women do.

I looked at the painting and immediately knew it was by Giotto. The blue background is a signature color of Giotto's that appears in many of his paintings. The structure behind the marriage ceremony looks similar to other buildings in Giotto's work. This structure draws your attention to Mary and Joseph. It encompasses them and makes them the center of the fresco.

You Might Also Like

0 comments