Beyond Ballet: Dance II

7:00 AM

Henri Matisse, Dance II, 1910
Beyond Ballet
By ELLIE SCHNEIDER

Matisse’s Dance II reminds me of Dance of Italian Villagers, because they have similar staging of the dancers and setting. In Dance II, the five dancers move in a circular motion, their orange bodies popping off of the blue sky and green grass. The figures move clockwise as they perform their dance. Each dancer depends on the others to perform this dance. For example, the dancers are holding hands, except for the two dancers in front. The circle is no longer complete, and the dance is no longer perfect. It’s amazing how much drama can be captured in the space between two hands, just look at Michelangelo’s Creation of Adam.

I saw this painting when I went to the MoMA. In person the work is huge, just over 8 x 12 feet. Just the sheer size of the work attracts eyes and people stood mesmerized by the movement of the orange dancers. Since the painting is so large, the colors flood your eyes, making it hard to process the bright orange against the rich blue. Matisse has the ability to evoke emotions with any color of his choice, like with The Red Studio.

I like how Matisse uses the orange and blue as complementary colors. I also like that all of Matisse’s figures are unique. Each of the five dancers are in different positions, are different sizes, and have different body shapes. Still, the five different figures work together in their dance circle.

I will never forget standing in front of this massive work, and being mesmerized by the movement and colors. I find it fascinating how paintings can evoke strong emotions or prompt movement. When I see El Jaleo or Dance II, especially with the sheer size of the works, it makes me want to dance. I think Sargent and Matisse have truly perfected the art of playing with the viewers emotions and starting conversations.

You Might Also Like

0 comments