Winter Landscape

7:00 AM

Caspar David Friedrich, Winter Landscape, 1811

By RUOLING "LINDA" XU

Here I am in this white world. I can't feel my body because of the cold wind. But the main reason is because of my legs. My legs are not mine, they are not connected by veins. I am using two crutches to walk in the deep snow. My footprints doesn't last as the snow covers it. I cannot be found, I am alone. My friend told me that I can find the meaning of life in snow, so I came.

The walk is long, and I discovered nothing. The whole world is white, except me. I am the only color in the world. The vast white buries other colors. The walk continues, I see a green spot in front of me. And when I get closer, the green amplifies. It is some evergreen trees that light up the white world. Among them, is a crucifix. I stand, to confirm that it was real. I shake and couldn't hold my crutches. I run towards the green spots. My legs tried its best to move and finally stop under the crucifix. I lean on the rock and begin to pray. I wish god can hear my voice, comfort my pain, and take away the cold. If life is suffering, then I hope I can have a better life after death.

You Might Also Like

0 comments