Return of Judith to Bethulia

7:00 AM

Sandro Botticelli, Return of Judith to Bethulia, 1473
I could never count how many times those around me needed a punishment such as the one that Judith gave to Holoferness of Bethulia. A proper beheading would have put them in there place, six feet under and nowhere near me. Now that is, of course, an exaggeration as I would never wish death upon another human being, but surely needing some space from others and feeling bitter hatred towards these tormentors is not uncommon among my peers.

When I feel as strongly about something as Judith did about the safety and well-being of the Jews, I know that I have the responsibility to stand up for it. I feel this way, because I know I have a voice, and that I am a strong, independent woman, just like Judith, who is the symbol of a woman's strength, and who is the maiden of Peace.

You Might Also Like

0 comments