Cupid and Psyche

7:00 AM

David Cupid and Psyche 1817

Why mess with a good thing? I mean sure, your sisters probably had solid points and they are your family, but still, if you had everything you could imagine, why screw it up? I think I'd tell that to Psyche's face if I ever saw her. Granted, she is probably still walking the earth performing terrible tasks that were sentenced to her for life as she searches for her runaway lover, but still I feel for the girl. I love this story, I think it is perfectly indicative of girls and insecurities, and I love that even Aphrodite struggled with the same mean girl crap high school girls go through. But instead of just saying, "I'm gonna kill her," she plagued a town and forced them to leave her enemy for monster meat. She wins the original drama queen crown.


Before I continue with what I think of David's painting of Cupid and Psyche in their happier times, I'll tell you how this whole thing played out: Psyche was really hot and Aphrodite became quite the jealous goddess. She cursed Psyche's town until her own father left her tied up to be eaten by a monster. Cupid, son Aphrodite, saved our damsel and married her. Mom wasn't crazy about this obviously, and neither were Psyche's sisters back home. Nevertheless, Cupid spoiled the heck out of Psyche, gave her a palace and everything she wanted during the day and time alone with him at night. He insisted on this and told Psyche that she was never allowed to look at him. He wanted her to love him for him and not his super hotness. They were both happy, but of course Psyche's dumb, mortal feelings got in the way. Her sisters began to question her about their arrangement, saying things like, "Well he must be a gross monster-thing, and you're stupid for not looking at him." The reappearing theme of physical appearance and insecurities, much like that of Aphrodite, got the best of Psyche. She took and candle into Cupid's room one night and saw how gorgeous he was. She gawked over him for so long that wax from her candle dripped onto him, woke him, and disgraced by her disobedience, made him fly away forever. The End.

So like I said, this is a happier time in their marriage. We see Psyche turned away from Cupid and her curvy, open figure against Cupid's very angular and muscular figure. I will say, David painted Cupid a little extra happy and also extra young in this piece. Other critics comment on this as well, and I say that the boy is filled with the chillest swagger and looks like he has got it made with his lady. His rosy cheeks and the color of his skin along with the amazing red draping over the bed makes this piece warm, a little sensual, and, clearly, naughty. Of course Psyche looks a little down that she can't see her lover,s face, but she cozies up to him. Though the contrast in her softness and his rigid figures stick out, they also fit together nicely and demonstrate all of David's talent.

You Might Also Like

0 comments