Return of the Hunt and I'll Make a Man out of You

7:00 AM

Peter Breughel, Return of the Hunt, 1565




Be a man; We must be swift as a coursing river
Be a man; With all the force of a great typhoon
Be a man; With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

Maybe it was because I had watched too many Disney movies these past couple of weeks, but the first song that came to mind when I looked at this painting was the song "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from the movie Mulan. Everything from deep dark colors, snowy scene, and men hunting with spears reminded me of Mulan. The song and painting connect because each portray masculinity and being strong during hard times. The men in this painting probably are not on their way to save China from the Huns, but they could be just as well, courageous men venturing out into the wild to hunt to feed their families. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments