Untitled (Blue, Dark Blue, Yellow)

7:30 AM

Mark Rothko, Untitled (Blue, Dark Blue, Yellow), 1953
By MADELINE VASQUEZ

Through art, one can see true perfection by the stroke of a paint brush, the shading of a pencil, or even the exquisite construction of an eccentric sculpture. It can be viewed as a way for someone to either discover their true self or lose themselves by getting lost in the portrayal of the work of art. Every artist has a different method of expressing their thoughts, viewpoints, and feelings through what they create.

Mark Rothko, one of the incredible expressionistic artists of our time, used the concept of simplistic beauty through his paintings. Although his paintings do not refer to any specific idea revolving around worldly encounters, there is deeper meaning and emotion when observing his art. After my initial observation of his work, No.5/No.22, I perceived a sense of happiness. But, sometimes things aren’t always what they appear to be. Rothko commented on this painting saying, “If you are only moved by color relationships, then you miss the point. I'm interested in expressing the big emotions—tragedy, ecstasy, doom.". After reading Red, by John Logan, I was able to understand Rothko as an artist and his reasoning behind why he did not want his work to be featured at The Four Seasons. I see Rothko as a man of complete brilliance that wants the people who see his art, to be able to connect with it rather than not think anything of it at all. Also because of this, I am able to appreciate his work more.

When looking at Untitled (Blue, Dark Blue, Yellow), I picture myself laying on the ground staring up into the nothingness of space. I can see the dark sky with hints of varying shades of blue and twinkling stars filling the openness of the sky. But, with this I also feel emptiness, as if getting lost into the emptiness of humanity itself. When looking at this painting, it makes me feel small because of how I view the painting. It allows me to think about my existence and know that I am just one being in the vast universe. This brings me back to watching the video on Existentialism and the concept of Sartre’s “existence precedes essence.” This means that we first exist and our actions later define the person we become and choose to be, thus relating to how the viewer of a painting relates or does not relate to the meaning behind an artist’s work.

Overall, after being able to learn about Rothko and his interpretation on art and what he sees to be profound, I am able to better appreciate how amazing the simple things in life can be.

You Might Also Like

0 comments