Tobias and the Angel

7:00 AM

Andrea Del Verrocchio's Workshop, Tobias and the Angel,  1470 - 1480

Although probably best known as a sculptor, Verrocchio, at one point in his life, turned to painting. His painting Tobias and the Angel, is taken from the Book of Tobit. Raphael, the angel Tobias walks with, tells Tobias about a remedy that will cure his father's blindness. He tells Tobias to take the liver, heart, and gall for the remedy. Raphael carries the completed concoction in his hand. 

This painting wasn't completed by just Verrocchio. A respected teacher, many of his students worked on this painting. If you look close enough, it becomes visible; some areas of paint application are stronger than others. For example, the background looks fairly weak in comparison to the smaller details like the fish. It seems almost impossible to talk about Verrocchio without talking about Leonardo, but it becomes one of, if not the only, controversial topic that involves my artist. And since I don't wish to bore anyone who may be reading this to death, I choose to once again defend my artist against those hated Leonardo fans (similar to those who act like Shakespeare is God). 

Rumor has it that Leonardo was the model for Tobias, also painting the fish and the dog. I maintain my opinion that the dog really isn't even that great since it falls into the background (most likely not well-preserved), but the model part is what irks me the most. Verrocchio is his own artist without Leonardo. Even if his apprentice did paint the best part of the painting (a dog and a fish, congrats), this is still Verrocchio's work. Yet, I sit here frustrated that while I attempt to defend Verrocchio from those that would label him outshined by Da Vinci, I can't stop talking about the apprentice, instead of the master. 

Unfortunately, the best part of Verrocchio is Leonardo and the rumor that surrounds them.

You Might Also Like

0 comments