Chicago

7:00 AM

Joan Mitchell, Chicago, 1996
By KAELYN ROSS

Joan Mitchell's Chicago displays her distinct style of vibrant colors against a pale or earthy tone background. She chose to use oil on canvas because she claimed that the paint has a certain sheen and texture unlike any other medium and she used the drips and splatters to her advantage. Joan Mitchell belonged to a clique of popular New York artists and she drew inspiration from de Kooning, a member of the group. However, unlike de Kooning, she desired to portray landscapes in a less emotional and more so peaceful way. This work shows how she often depicted natural landscapes. 

This work is large scale, as she worked on it on the floor. Her work was first disqualified as art because of her sex and people wanted her work to be feminine and pretty. I disagree with this notion, but I also see it as more than that. At first glance, I saw trees with birds flyings out of them in all directions to me representing a sort of chaos. However, whenever I see this, I feel peaceful and more aware. Her focus on certain objects instantly reminded me of my own focus and what one chooses to focus on in their life. This painting, although seemingly busy, represents a calmness within the storm inspiring me to choose happiness and tranquility despite difficulties. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments