Sol Lewitt Chairs

7:00 AM

Harry Wei, Sol LeWitt Chairs, 2010

By JENNY ZHU

To be very honest with you, I did not like the artist Sol LeWitt very much. I do think some of his ideas of Conceptual Art are very insightful -- such as how the idea itself could be art itself and the content could be entirely interpreted by the audiences -- but not enough for me to appreciate his paintings and drawings.

The only work of his that I found somewhat interesting is a photography piece called Cube Containing an Object of Importance but Little Value. I like that piece for the reason that it is easier for me to dig out the meaning behind the photography. The piece contains nine pictures of a progress of Lewitt digging a hole on the ground, and then buried a little squared box. I found it profoundly interesting, but due to LeWitt's idea of personal interpretation, I think it's up to you to figure out what he's trying to convey through this piece of art. Most of his works are visually pleasing but lack to deeper meaning, or very hard to get a grasp of, for me at least.

When I was doing research on Sol LeWitt, the most interesting piece I found is actually not done by him. It's not even done when he's alive (LeWitt died in 2007, RIP). The Sol LeWitt chair is done by a student called Harry Wei at Waterloo University in 2010. Wei got inspired by a drawing of LeWitt of a chair containing only simple vertical and horizontal lines. The chairs were built without any mechanical fasteners and can also be combined and transformed into a bench.

I personally think that if LeWitt is alive to see this, he would be very pleasef to see that people are converting his ideas into actions. Like he once said, "A blind man can make art if what is in his mind can be passed to another mind in some tangible form."

You Might Also Like

0 comments