Art History Hotties: Portrait of Miss Denison

7:00 AM

Miss Denison of Stonington, Connecticut, Joseph Steward, 1790 
By ANTHONY MADISON

Matilda Denison, as depicted, was most definitely an Art History hottie. Her dainty appearance and pale skin should dictate her time period. In the late 1700's and early 1800's this look was quite common. Normally, the paler skin and corset indicated a wealthier family, but her outfit says otherwise. 

The dead look on her face almost give off a creepy vibe that would make anyone else uncomfortable, but the deeper I stare into the eyes of this woman, the more I fall in love with this painting. Miss Denison's companion, the squirrel to the left of her, looks like he's up to no good. The cardinal in her hand looks slightly frightened. The animals add a more uncomfortable feeling to the portrait, but the woman's face already makes me feel like I'm being chastised by my middle-aged neighbor for letting my ball roll into her yard. 

The colors used Miss Denison's were carefully chosen by the artist to contrast with the background. The green and pink in her dress contrast well with the darker border around her body. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments