The Break Up: The Lovers, The Great Wall of China Walk

7:00 AM

Marina Abramović, The Break Up: The Lovers, The Great Wall of China Walk, 1988
BY JENNY ZHU

To Tao

I know it's weird to write a love letter using an example of once great lovers breaking up with each other. I remember looking at her performing art works for the first time with you. I felt something within. I knew at the instance that I would never want that to happen to you and I, but the future is way too long and unpredictable for us to know for sure.

Marina Abramović, the grandmother of performing art, once said that "an artist should avoid falling in love with another artist," and I think that's what happened to Marina and Ulay, her ex. To complete their breakup, the former couples started from the opposite sides of the Great Wall of China wearing complementary colors, red and blue, in an extend of 90 days, and met in the middle to make the final farewell. I keep wondering what they were thinking about when they were walking alone on those walls. What led them to that position? Why did they breakup? After all, it seemed quite peaceful between the two? Did they just decide they were not the one for each other? During the course of walking, did they ever regret the decision of splitting apart? I keep thinking, but I don't think I can ever get near what they were thinking unless I walk those walls.

And Tao, I think we are on our own walls right now, but we are side by side walking together. I'm a senior, and like most of the high school couples, we are about to face the first biggest step of our lives, college. Things will change. Maybe one day one of us will turn around and walk the opposite directions, Even though we might not be able to walk together much longer, for the time left, I wanna make the best out of it. I have so many things planned out for us to do.

By the spirit of Thanksgiving, I wanna thank you for everything you've done, especially the late night phone calls when I'm feeling down. Sometimes we just have a special connection where simple eye contact alone is enough for all I have to say. You get me like no one else does. Nothing can express how grateful I am to have you.

Jenny


Editor's Note: Students were asked to give a painting to someone they cared for. These are their moving responses.

You Might Also Like

0 comments