Vertumnus

7:00 AM

Giuseppe Arcimboldo, Vertumnus, 1590
Beloved Brother Grant,

I thought I saw you staring back at me when I first saw Vertumnus by Giuseppe Arcimboldi. You and this guy share so many similarities. Obviously, you both are obsessed with healthy eating. I know that when you stare in the mirror you wish you saw Vertumnus in the reflection. You two both love vegetables, and since both of you are comprised of a large percentage of fruits, grains, and vegetables, I knew I wanted you to have this paintings.

His cheeks are even as pink and rosy as yours! I was even more surprised when I saw the date of the work: 1590. In over four centuries, health culture hasn’t changed a bit. Vertumnus was as much of a gym rat and health nut as you! That just proves that guys don’t change. Maybe you two could’ve been bros and hit the gym together and swapped muscle milk recipes. I know things have been rough with Katie gone; I think having a bro like Vertumnus around would make you feel better. You don’t need a girl to be happy. Right now I think you need a friend with the same ideals as you. Every morning you can wake up and look at Vertumnus from your bed and be reminded that you’re not alone and that treating your body healthily will make you feel better than any girl.

There have been guys like you for centuries and they lived happy lives and reproduced. Don’t worry, Vertumnus made it and so can you, and you’re definitely ahead of him in terms of appearances. I hope this painting can give you hope. But please don’t break it like you did with the last piece of art I gave you. This paintings is worth a whole lot more than that mosaic I made for you. If you don’t want it, I would rather you sell it, and I know you need the money to pay for your fifth year of college. Live happy and healthy and everything else will work out, brother. 


Editor's Note: Students were asked to give a painting to someone they cared for. These are their moving responses. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments