Sunset at Sea

7:00 AM

Pierre-Auguste Renoir,  Sunset at Sea, 1879







BY REMY JACOBS

Katlyn,

For Thanksgiving this year, I am going to get you this painting. It’s called Sunset at Sea. I know what you’re thinking, “Why get me a painting, why not clothes, or money, something besides art.” Sit down, relax, and let me explain.

Pierre-Auguste Renoir was a French Impressionist painter in the mid to late 1800s who started with Impressionism and moved to Renaissance in the middle of his career. Sounds boring right? Wrong. Renoir’s eye for beauty was what made him one of the most well-known artists of his time. To find his inspiration, he frequently traveled to Paris to visit the Louvre to study artist during the Rococo period. Artists such as Watteau and Boucher. Most of his paintings are focused on leisure. In the 1860s, Renoir worked alongside Claude Monet, therefore providing essentiality to the development of Impressionistic art.

I chose this painting for you because, in my eyes, you are the perfect representation of beauty and elegance. In addition, it reminds me of the trip we took over the summer for your 18th birthday. We went to the ocean every day, watched the sunset, went crabbing, and almost made it a drama free trip. That trip, was so much fun because I was with you, my sister, who means the world to me and who I would do anything for. Also, it's a picture of the ocean, our favorite place to be. I hope that in the future we can live our dream of owning a beach house and traveling the world together. I love you more than words can say. 

Thank you for all of the fun times we've had, and I hope there are more to come. 

Happy Holidays,
Remy 

You Might Also Like

0 comments