Knowledge That Books Give

7:00 AM

Oscar Romero, Knowledge That Books Give, 1995

By MISSY ROSENTHAL

Dear Harrison,

I gift you this beautiful mural to begin this holiday season. Your drive and determination to pursue scholarship has always remained a great inspiration to me. From a young age you have instilled in me a desire to learn and follow my passions. This piece, like you, shows an enthusiasm towards learning by illustrating many disciplines of study. Knowledge That Books Give illustrates scientific studies (through the use of a fossils), english and literature (through the scribe unfurling a scroll of text) and historical analysis ( by means of the Egyptian statues).

While I was watching you go through your years of schooling, you have always have been a role model for me. You have shown me the value of a strong work ethic and of dedication. Conversely, you have shown me the importance of being well rounded, that academic success is not everything. I wanted to thank you for your encouraging comments regarding my school work and my pursuit to follow my passions.

Upon first glance at this piece, one is overwhelmed by the deep blue hues in background. I view this as a metaphor for your future endeavors -- that the sky's the limit for you. The open hands over the book are symbols that with knowledge anything can be attained, another value you were instrumental in teaching me.

Thank you again for everything you have done for me during the past several years. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Your loving sister,
Missy


Editor's Note: Students were asked to give a painting to someone they cared for. These are their moving responses.





















You Might Also Like

0 comments